Saturday, May 14, 2011

Short Update: May 11th 2011 - WP assigns MP to wards

Just read the news:

http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_667724.html dated May 12th 2011 Singapore time. (No, I do not time-travel. I prefer to stick to Pacific Standard Time for my post headings instead of making conversions all the time).

That was, admittedly, faster than I had expected. The pertinent information is as follows (I tend to take the reliability of ST links with a pinch of salt, they do not appear to archive their articles indefinitely like the BBC does):

Low Thia Khiang - Bedok Reservoir-Punggol
Sylvia Lim - Serangoon
Chen Show Mao - Paya Lebar
Pritam Singh - Eunos
Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap - Kaki Bukit

The Worker's Party is really hitting the ground running post-GE. I had originally wanted to do a quick commentary this weekend on the issue of cross-party handover of Town Councils, given what was claimed by Mr. Low Thia Khiang regarding Hougang in 1991, his call for a smooth transfer, and how things are transpiring in Aljunied. Objectively speaking, we know nothing about Aljunied as of now. Like a friend stated, some of the problems with services may have been coincidental and disproportionately misconstrued as active acts of punishment. In Science, we have always been trained to look for objective evidence by counting both the hits and the misses. As of now, I do not believe there is any evidence to suggest that the Town Council services at Aljunied are being universally degraded.

An Update (May 12th 2011, PDT): Blogger confirms that there was no deliberate attempt by the outgoing Aljunied Town Council to deny services. Many thanks to the people who took action to do the necessary footwork to verify the claims! This is the kind of active citizenry we need to sift out truth from misconceptions or misinformation. Here is the link with the details: http://thinkhappiness.blogspot.com/2011/05/feedback-to-challenging-times-by.html.

Meanwhile, to make a direct comparison (probably biased) on the level of energy and enthusiasm of the elected teams, I would like to report that I've just checked the Tanjong Pagar GRC webpage and it still hosts the old information (6-member team with old boundaries). Let us see how long the Tanjong Pagar GRC team waits before they announce their new setup.

My next intended update this weekend will be to focus on the freshly re-elected MPs of the Tanjong Pagar team. This again, to provide background and context for the benefit of subsequent posts to this blog. Also, once they announce information about the new GRC setup, I will proceed to post the maps and information on districts if possible.

6 comments:

  1. i'm your fan #1! hahahhah

    ok, cheap thrill. need a bit of distraction from looking after e1 & e2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Thanks! Hope E1 gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @wq - you are more than welcome to :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should check out the developments at Chan CS's fb page. He's holding 'public policy discussion forums'. Intended audience is residents of BV (his ward within Tg Pagar I guess), but open to one and all.

    http://www.facebook.com/ChanChunSing.SG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! That's actually a really good idea! Where I can find it, I will link the Tanjong Pagar MPs' public FB pages to this blog site.

    Just a gentle reminder - FB comments in general vary wildly in quality. In the context of my goals for this blog, I would like to urge readers to avoid using any random (eg. unquantifiable stuff) FB comment as information sources here.

    I myself have posted FB comments at emotional highs (and some beer) and thought I sounded really stupid on a second read.

    ReplyDelete