Sunday, August 28, 2011

August 28th - Back!

Back from my "brief" hiatus. It was a case of one-thing-led-to-another and there did not seem to be any planned activity in Parliament until the Presidential Elections were over, so there was no impetus to update this blog just to "report" on trivial changes.

I was, however, keeping an eye on the Town Council webpage and was a little disappointed to note that they had only updated the image of the 5-man 2011 GE version about a month after I stopped posting. I had also been looking forward to the new Town Council map for a while now, but no dice!

With respect to the map, I am now interested to know just which areas in Tanjong Pagar Town Council are actually run by the Town Council, which are run by the People's Association (PA) and which are still under the control of HDB. This is in light of the recent spat between the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council and the PA, HDB and MND over the use of public spaces within the boundaries of the constituencies.

I think it is about time we fully understood, as residents, just how our estates are run. This ties in with practical aspects of our lives (the request for the use of public space) as well as the abstract principles of a democracy (as a liberal, it seems rather odd to me that my duly elected representative cannot be allowed to meet me in a public space anytime I wish - this applies to all representatives).

Finally, as a side-note and a shout-out, I'm glad for friends who live within the confines of Tanjong Pagar GRC. They *finally* got to vote (in the Presidential Elections), many for the very first time in their lives! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment